Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Giant soap brick arrival

Last weekend I had a fabulous visit with my old roomie from Peru (Chloe) who got into Berkeley for law school and came out from Philly for the admitted student event. Unfortunately, it seems that my hometown university put together a pretty crappy event, so I did my best to convince her to come out to Cali anyway! Keeping my fingers crossed that she is unable to resist the appeal of BOALT and moves out here in the fall despite the disorganized admit event. It's always nice to have more good friends who are local, since I'm so bad about keeping in touch with my East Coast buds :)

I have a couple new projects to share in the next day or two, but aside from having had a fairly busy weekend, I've been a bit low on soap this past week since I had to wait for the new month (and new budget) to order more supplies. Last week, I finally decided to take the plunge and ordered bulk soap base for the first time. It arrived yesterday in a single giant 25-lb. block and my housemate thinks it looks like a giant salt lick.


In addition to at least 25 more pounds worth of melt and pour soaping, I'm getting really excited to try cold and hot process soap making. I'm taking a workshop at the Nova Studio in Point Richmond next month to learn the basics and I can't wait! In the meantime, my acupressure guy put me in touch with a friend of his who is also interested in soap making. I think we're gonna be "lab partners" and meet up next weekend to make our first batch.

Anyway, I'm off to play with my new micas and lip balm flavor oils. Oh yeah, and I guess I should try to get some work done as well... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment