Monday, March 30, 2009

Essential Oil Experiments - Geranium Lavender Lip Balm

I am completely addicted to lip balm.

Just like many other lip balm junkies out there, I'm one of those people who feels completely naked without some sort of lip protection. I also tend to carry a separate tube in each purse or bag that goes out with me. My earliest memory of this little habit was using my mom's Mentholatum as a kid. Yeah, I started with the strong stuff. I just loved the tingly sensation on my lips whenever I used it and even more exciting was the sinus clearing action I experienced every time I had a stuffy nose.

I made my first small batch of lip balms last weekend. I've made a solid perfume base from shea butter, beeswax and olive oil in the past that was the perfect consistency for lip balm, so I decided to try mixing it with essential oils to create a nice multi-purpose lip balm, just like my childhood favorite.

I measured one ounce of the lip balm base and added five drops each of two different essential oils: geranium and lavender.


I chose Egyptian Geranium and Hungarian Lavender for the multitude of beneficial properties associated with each of them.

Geranium is known for soothing all sorts of skin issues, including acne, bruises, burns, cuts, and eczema. It also aids circulation, sore throat, feminine issues attributed to PMS and menopause, stress and neuralgia.

Lavender is known for a long list of beneficial properties as well. It has a very soothing, calming effect on nervous conditions, headaches, respiratory and even digestive problems. It's a natural antibacterial and antiviral, as well as a decongestant, deodorant, and sedative.

Working together, lavender and geranium also provide strengthened antiseptic, antidepressant, healing and moisturizing properties. Finally, both provide beautiful, uplifting aromas which promote calm and soothing reactions and feelings to physical and emotional stresses.

The base of the lip balm consists of shea butter, beeswax and olive oil. The shea butter is a moisturizer which promotes the healing of dry skin, acne, chapped lips, stretch marks, and many other issues. The beeswax and the olive oil act as barriers that help absorb and seal in the moisture. The combination of the moisturizing qualities of the lip balm, the healing properties of the essential oils, as well as their intoxicating fragrance make these lip balms


I've been using the lip balm all week and I love it :) Not only are my lips silky soft, but the aroma is so intoxicating that I keep catching myself puckering up to catch a whiff!

The rest of the batch is floating around as samples, and I can't wait to hear what the recipients think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment